When it comes to Detroit’s best athletes, there are a few names that immediately come to mind.
Names like Steve Yzerman, longtime captain and now CEO of Detroit Red Wings. Isiah Thomas from the legendary Detroit Pistons “bad boy era”. Tyrus Raymond Cobb, better known as Ty Cobb, was one of the best to ever wear the Detroit Tigers uniform.
Plus, there’s always a name Detroit Lions fans will always know. Someone whose name will always bear weight and cause respect in Michigan – Barry Sanders.
Regarding his answer, the Pistons sensational rookie Cade Cunningham always seems to know what to say. Since his arrival in Detroit, he has done a lot to appeal to the city and its fans, surpassing the 5/17/05 average and being one of the NBA’s best rookies.
From touching his love of Detroit rap during the pre-project trial, to place buffs on draft nightCunningham understands what makes the city move.
So it should come as no surprise that he didn’t have to think much when asked who was Detroit’s greatest athlete of all time.
“I’ll go with Barry Sanders and my colleague from Oklahoma,” replied Cunningham.
Cunningham has already made it clear that he is a huge soccer fan and that his favorite NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys (we can’t be too strict on him, he’s from Dallas after all). Before Cunningham became number one in the 2021 NBA draft, he spent his one year in college at Sanders’ alma mater, Oklahoma State University.
The full interview with Cunningham can be found here.
Now let’s move on to the rest of today’s notes:
- The Lions officially announce the acquisition of the Chris Board linebacker.
- Cornerback Mike Hughes has also officially signed.
– Detroit Pride (@PrideOfDetroit) March 23, 2022
The payback is a first-round choice and beyond, while Hill receives a contract extension, which puts him among the highest-paid WRs in the NFL.
– Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 23, 2022
- Updated off-season recovery from PFF, trading after Tyreek Hill.
- Dave Birkett from Freepa on Mike Hughes’s new corner and an opportunity to fight for a place.
- Rumors about a harvester for the Lions media are starting to crop up, and in my opinion that would be insanely funny. Let us hope.