Spain officially appealed against decision to kick them out of the 2023 Rugby World Cup after fielding an ineligible player in qualifying matches
- Spain made an official appeal to decide to exclude them from the World Cup
- World Rugby took the country out of its biggest sports tournament
- Spain fielded an unreadable player during one of their World Cup qualifying matches
- Gavin van den Berg’s passport was allegedly tampered with before the game
Spain has officially appealed against the decision to kick them out of the 2023 Rugby World Cup for displaying an unreadable player.
Last month, World Rugby removed Spain from the biggest tournament in their sport after allegedly breaching the passport of that country’s player, Gavin van den Berg.
Van den Berg has played in key World Cup qualifiers for Spain, but an investigation has revealed that he hasn’t been home long enough to do so.
Gavin van den Berg played for the Spanish rugby team after his passport was tampered with
His team immediately took 10 points away from a move that ended their World Cup dreams, although they were given the right to cancel which they have now done.
The World Rugby statement said: “Spain has appealed the decision of an independent judicial committee for violating World Rugby qualifying rules in the context of qualifying for the Rugby World Cup 2023 in the European region.
“Official union applications were received after a short extension of the appeal deadline.
“On May 5, an independent judiciary committee found that Spain violated the World Rugby qualifying rules by fielding Gavin van den Berg in two qualifying matches for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
World Rugby has decided to remove Spain from the World Cup following the van den Berg incident
“The sanction imposed by the commission included a fine and a point deduction, with the result that Spain no longer qualifies for the Rugby World Cup 2023 in France.
“The union appealed against the committee’s decisions and sanctions.
“An Independent Board of Appeal consisting of Wang Shao Ing (Chairman), Adam Casselden SC and John Langford will review the appeal on a date for a hearing which will be confirmed in due course.”
Elsewhere, Bristol parted ways with defense coach Omar Mouneimne with immediate effect after a tumultuous season at Ashton Gate.
Bears players suspected that Mouneimne was the man behind an anonymous Twitter account that criticized the band’s performances.
Omar Mouneimne (right) left Bristol Bears after a tumultuous season at Ashton Gate
It was said there were no words in the press release from Bristol rugby director Pat Lam confirming Mouneimne’s departure.
Mouneimne has denied any links to the Twitter account.
“I am proud to have played my part in the Bears journey. There were a lot of big highlights along the way, including big cutlery and conceded second fewest points and tries last season, ”he said.
“I would like to thank the players and staff for the time spent in West Country and for welcoming me and my family. I’m excited about what awaits us and I’m excited about the next challenge ahead. ”
Bristol was a Premiership semi-finalist last season, but will be tied for 10th place this season for one regular round.